Decorations and Lighting Safety
- Use caution with holiday decorations, and whenever possible, use those made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant, or non-combustible materials.
- Keep candles away from decorations and other combustible materials.
- Do not use candles to decorate Christmas trees.
- Only purchase lights and electrical decorations bearing the name of an independent testing lab, and follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and maintenance.
- Carefully inspect new and previously used light strings, and replace damaged items before plugging lights in.
- Do not overload extension cords.
- Always unplug lights before replacing light bulbs or fuses.
- Don't mount lights in any way that can damage the cord's wire insulation (for example, use clips, not nails).
- Keep children and pets away from light strings and electrical decorations.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving the house or going to bed.
For more information on holiday decorations, contact the Fire Department at (617) 972-6512.