Click to Home
On the Watertown Seal is a picture of an English Colonist and an Indian exchanging, as peace tokens,  bread for fish.  Captain Roger Clap landed at Nantasket Point in 1630 and rode up Charles River to Gerry's Landing with the first party of Watertown Colonists.
Go To Search
Emergency Alert - Inactive
Historical Houses
Auburn Street PostcardAuburn Street Going South, PostcardMain Street Post OfficeThe Charles River
Historic Places History of Interest
Watertown Arsenal / Rodman Mansion in 1816, the famous Boston architect, Alexander Parris, who also designed Faneuil Hall in Boston, was commissioned to create designs for Watertown Arsenal.
The Commander's Mansion
440 Talcott Ave.
Watertown, MA 02472
Brick house with gingerbread trim, a gem of Victorian architecture, was named for the commander who lived there during the Civil War. The commanding officer’s quarters is listed in the National Historic Register and Building No. 51 (currently the home of Harvard Vanguard) has been recommended by the Town Planning Department for nomination to the National Register.
Thaxter House
Located on the corner of Main and Cuba Streets, originally stood on Saltonstall Park until 1882
This center-entrance frame structure was the home of Celia Thaxter, a well-known American poet, for several years. This home is presently a family dwelling.
Noyes House
203 Main St.
Watertown, MA 02472
Belonged to Samuel Noyes, a successful grocer and tradesman in the nineteenth century. It is a generous, but simple frame building. The Noyes House is now being used as a dentist office.
The Pratt House
106 Mt. Auburn St.
Watertown, MA 02472
A wood-framed house of Italianate style, built in 1856. The first owner, Miles Pratt, was a foundry owner who manufactured cannonballs for the North during the Civil War. The Pratt House is currently occupied by Dental Specialist of Watertown.
Edmund Fowle House
Located on 26 Marshall Street, originally located on Mount Auburn Street until 1876.
One of the more gracious homes in revolutionary Watertown this house dates from about 1740. It was a meeting place for committees of the rebellious legislators and the stopping place of many revolutionary personalities, including George Washington, Joseph Warren, Elbridge Gerry, and Benjamin Franklin. It is now owned by the Watertown Historical Society and can be seen by appointment. It is listed in the National Register.
The Gore Estate
52 Gore St.
Waltham MA, 02453
One of America’s most beautiful brick mansions. It was originally owned by American diplomat, Christopher Gore and is presently owned by the Gore Place Society and is open for tours.
The Russel House
Intersection of Common and Columbia Streets
Watertown, MA 02472
One of the more elegant farmhouses standing in Watertown, a fine example of Greek Revival style, and is located at the intersection of Common and Columbia Streets. This house is presently a family dwelling.
Tyler Bigelow House
77 Riverside St.
Watertown, MA 02472
It was the birthplace of George Tyler Bigelow, (1810 – 1878) who became Chief Justice of Massachusetts Supreme Court in 1860. This home, built around 1800, is presently a family dwelling.
Reverend Convers Francis Home
Riverside St.
Watertown, MA 02472
Built of brick in 1820, this home now known as the Joseph A. McDonald Funeral Home, retains its early features – old window casings with inside blinds, original stairway, and fireplaces.
Browne House
562 Main St.
Watertown MA, 02472
Built by Captain Abraham Browne about 1690. One of the oldest houses in America, this weathered plank and shingle-roofed structure was purchased by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities and is open for tours.