Click to Home
On the Watertown Seal is a picture of an English Colonist and an Indian exchanging, as peace tokens,  bread for fish.  Captain Roger Clap landed at Nantasket Point in 1630 and rode up Charles River to Gerry's Landing with the first party of Watertown Colonists.
Go To Search
Marriage License Copies

After the Wedding - Obtaining a Marriage Certificate
How Do I Get a Copy of my License?
The officiate will sign and return the original marriage license to the City Clerk or Town Clerk that issued the license. Once the license is received in the Office of the City Clerk or Town Clerk, the couple can obtain a Marriage Certificate. If either party changes his or her name following the wedding an original Marriage Certificate will have to be obtained by the couple for Social Security. At least one other original Marriage Certificate should be obtained for the couple‚Äôs records.

A Marriage Certificate can only be obtained from the City Clerk or Town Clerk that issued the license even if the ceremony was performed in another community or the couple moves.

For more information please call the Town Clerk's Office at (617) 972-6486.

Certified Copies
A certified copy can also be obtained from the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics at:
Registry of Vital Records and Statistics
150 Mt. Vernon St.
First Floor
Dorchester, MA 02125-2714

View more information on the Registry of Vital Records.

Out-of-State Officiants & Non-Residents
If the officiate for your wedding is from another state, or is not with the clergy or a Justice of the Peace, he or she must apply for and receive a one-day commission before the marriage takes place. The Commission must be obtained from:
Secretary of State, Commissions Division
McCormack Building 17th Floor
1 Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108

Information and the appropriate forms can be found online.